Parent Information for Children with SEND

SEND policy 2018 - 2019

SEND Report 2018 to 2019

SEND Cardinal Newman Local Offer

SEND Warrington's Local Offer

Questions for Parents and Young People with SEND

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

Parents and primary schools can contact the SENCo or Head of Year 7 from Year 5 with information on SEND pupils. SENCo can attend review meetings.

Head of Year 7 meets with Year 6 teachers on transition days to gather detailed information on SEND young people.

SENCo receives information from the Head of Year 7. Contact is made with parents/carers and the primary school to gather information on how best to support the young people on transfer. Further transition visits organised as necessary.

Baseline assessments in English, Maths, Reading and Spelling allow further in house screening of young people not already identified.

Young people who transfer mid-year are baseline assessed in English, Maths, Reading and Spelling. SENCo is provided with information from the transfer form.

If you think your child has special educational needs contact the SENCo by telephone or school email address,, to discuss the concerns.

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

The SENCo will coordinate the support for your young person.

Teachers are provided with information on how best to support your young person in the classroom.

If your young person has a Statement of Special Needs or Education and Health Care plan (EHC), a keyworker will be assigned to them. They will be responsible for supporting your young person to achieve their targets.

The SENCo and keyworker regularly review the impact of support and intervention for your toung person.

The governors fully support the school’s SEND policy and practice. The SEND governor liaises with the SENCo on a regular basis.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child / young person's needs?

Your young person will be placed in a set according to their ability for English, Maths, Science and Modern Foreign languages in Year 7 and 8. For other curriculum subjects they will be taught in mixed ability form groups. In Year 9 your young person will be placed in a set according to their ability for all subjects. In Key stage 4 your young person will be placed in a set according to their ability for English, Maths, Science, RE and PE and will be placed in mixed ability sets in Option subjects.

The classwork is differentiated by the class teacher according to the needs of your young person.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

You will receive a report on your young person’s progress in their curriculum subjects a five points in the year. Information about your young person's targets grades, current grade, homework/coursework record, attitude and behaviour are all included in the report.

If your young person has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Educational and Health Care Plan (EHC) you will be invited by the SENCo to attend an annual review meeting alongside educational professionals that are involved in the support of your young person. At the meeting the progress towards your young person’s curriculum targets and intervention targets will be discussed as well as how to best support your yiung person over the next year.

The SENCo can be contacted at any time throughout the academic year concerning progress and support of your young person.

What support will there be for my child/young person's overall wellbeing?

Each young person is assigned to a form group and their form tutor is their first point of contact each day. Each year group is supported by a pastoral manager, Head of Year and Head of Key Stage.

In addition the School Chaplain and Inclusion Manager are available to support your child with any emotional health and wellbeing issues they may have.

The approach of all staff is person centred and the views and needs of the young person is important. Contributions to school life can be made in a variety of ways including school council and regular surveys.

If your young person has a medical issue it is best to contact the Head of Year or SENCo with information on how best to support your young perosn. As a parent/carer you have prime responsibility for their health and you must therefore provide the school with full information about their medical condition. A Health Care Plan will then be written by the pastoral manager or SENCo. If the young person requires support from a teaching assistant to access their learning then an application to the Local Authority for top up funding will be made.

The pastoral team and Attendance officer support you and your young person to achieve the attendance set by the Department for Education at 95%.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

The SEN Manager has specialist qualification in Specific learning difficulties and is able to assess young people for exam access arrangements.

The school can access the following support services:

  • School Health Advisor
  • Educational psychologist
  • Specialist teachers for hearing and visual impairments.
  • Orthoptist
  • Speech and language therapists.
  • Physiotherapists
  • Occupational therapists
  • ADHD and ASD specialist nurses
  • Child paediatrics
  • CAF and Family support
  • Social care
  • The Relationship Centre
  • St Joseph Family Centre
  • Youth Services.
  • Local Authority Attendance team.
  • Police School Liaison Officer.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?

Staff in school have training and continue to undergo training to support young people with SEND.

The SENCo has secured the National award For SEN Coordination.

The SEN Manager has an educational psychology qualification.

Teaching assistants are responsible for specific areas of special needs and have been trained in the delivery of Speech and language programmes, supporting young people with Hearing and Visual Impairments and young people with literacy and numeracy needs.

The Inclusion Manager is trained in the National programme For Specialist Leaders In Behaviour and Attendance. ADHD support.

The majority of SEN support staff are trained in manual handling.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

SEND young people are invited to attend extra-curricular activities and school trips. The young person, parents/carers and support staff are consulted on how to best support the child during the activities.

Risk assessments are carried out by staff prior to attendance of any activities.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

The school has wheelchair access and disabled toilets on the ground floor only.

Young person who have physical needs (wheelchairs users, walking frame users, pupils on crutches) are able to access computers and an area to work in the library and Oasis Learning Support Suite. ICT and Practical Food technology are not accessible as they are sited on the upper floor only.

Manual handling qualifications are updated every three years.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

Parents/carers and primary schools can contact the SENCo or Head of Year 7 from Year 5 with information on SEND young people. SENCo can attend review meetings.

Head of Year 7 liaises with SENCo regarding the detailed information on SEND pupils gathered at Year 6 transitions days. Parents and the primary school provide information on how best to support the young person on transfer. A member of the SEND department can visit your young person in their current school to gather further information to support your child through the transition. Further transition visits are organised where necessary.

Young people who transfer mid-year are baseline assessed in English, Maths, Reading and Spelling. SEND information is relayed to SENCo via the transfer form. The SENCo will liaise with the previous educational setting where necessary.

If your young person transfers from Cardinal Newman to another educational setting information is passed on via the Transfer form. The SEND department will contact to new school with any further information and pupil records. Transition visits can be organized where necessary.

How are the setting/school/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

To meet your young person's SEN needs the school’s resources are allocated as follows:

  • Core provision from the core funding which is available for all young people.
  • Extra provision depending on your child’s needs, funded from the school’s notional SEN budget.

If further provision is required an application for top-up funding is made to the local authority’s high needs block.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will recieve?

The SENCo, SEN manager and Inclusion manager in consultation with parents/carers and previous educational settings, decide upon the most effective way to support your young person to maximise their progress and wellbeing.

This support is flexible and reflects the changing needs of your child based upon regular and planned reviews.

The SENCo analyses data on your child on your child to monitor progress and impact of support.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

We encourage open communication with parents/carers through a variety of means including telephone calls and parents evening.

Excellent communications between parents/carers and the schools is vital for effective support for your young person.

The school welcomes information from parents that may help your child to make good progress.

Who can I contact for further information?

The following people can be contacted for further information:

  • SENCO – Coordinates support pupils with SEND
  • SEN Manager – Supports the SENCo and coordinates exam access arrangements
  • Inclusion Manager – Supports pupils with Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  • Form tutor – The first point of contact for the young person each day
  • Head of Year – Supports young people with pastoral issues
  • Pastoral manager – supports the Head of Year
  • Head of Key stage – liaises with Head of Year and supports young people at Key stage 3 or 4
  • Head teacher – Ensures the progress of all young people.

SENCO: Mrs R Sewell

School telephone number: 01925 635556

Email address: